Friday, May 21, 2010

This Is Not How I Had This Planned

I'm having a devil of a time with the Italian calendar.  Unlike in the US, the Italian calendar starts on Mondays, not Sundays.  So Thursday, when I was in a rush, I glanced at my Google calendar, saw an appointment on the 5th day of the week and off we went...a day early.  This wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't the second time in 3 days that I've done this.  Ollie is not pleased with me.  He is about to have one, or possibly two root canals and all he wants is to get it over with.   Thus, he was particularly displeased when we got all the way to the dentist's office before I realized I had erred once again.

After we returned home, my daughter Jessica, who's here visiting from California, and I decided to go to the Museo d'Arte Orientale Edoardo Chiossone.  This is an exceptional exhibit of primarily Japanese arts housed in the Villetta di Negro above Piazza Corvetto.  Edoardo Chiossone was employed by the Japanese government in 1875 to set up and manage the engraving section responsible for printing Japanese currency.  During his 23 years of residency in Japan, he collected a stunning collection of various art forms from Japan and Thailand which he bequeathed to the city of Genova.   I love Oriental art, especially kimono and porcelain,  so I was very excited to see this exhibit.  Of course, the museum was closed when we got there. This fit in perfectly with the way this week has been going.

Instead we decided to check out the lovely park that surrounds the museum.  
Looking down at Piazza Corvetto
At one time the park was a small zoo.  Remnants of those buildings are still in use, although there are no longer any animals here.
 
The park is also the home of the Gardens and Forests Service of the city
Grottos were built into an ancient city wall.

A view of the city elevator at Spianata Castelletto.

None of the original villetta is still here.  It was destroyed by English bombing during WWII.  Too bad they missed this.

Wildlife...in the city!

After spending a lovely afternoon wandering around the park, we decided to head for home via one of Genova's funiculare.  This required walking through one of the galleria or tunnels that cut through the city.  The first is the Galleria Nino Bixio.  

It is guarded by two very impressive sentinels.
Art Nouveau, called Liberty Style in Italy, and Art Deco statuary is very common in the newer sections of town.  These two have been here since 1925.
It is moments like these that I remember how fatalistic Italians are.  This tunnel is commonly used by pedestrians.  Note the narrow sidewalk.  Note the lack of any kind of barrier between pedestrians and rampaging Italian drivers.  A little speed walking was definitely in order.

A sense of self preservation convinced me not to walk through the twin tunnel Galleria Giuseppe Garibaldi, but to take advantage of the Funicolare Sant'Anna.
A great way to travel.  Note there is only one track.  The uphill car and the downhill car are synchronized to run at the same time.  Midway up the hill about 25 feet of the track is doubled allowing the two cars to pass each other.

Today is another day, and we're heading off to the dentist...again.  I have an inkling something will intrude in Ollie's dental plans again, but perhaps we'll get to see the museum.

7 comments:

  1. It seems likely we will pass in the street (or park) if we haven't already. We were up in the park last week, then used the Spianata Castelletto elevator. Today was Camogli, as we had a tenor staying with his daughter and she needed a beach. Genova is a beautiful city. I hope the dental work went well. Root canals are about my least favourite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'm taking my boy to Genova to see the aquarium, but now you have me thinking that I should extend it from a day trip and stay a couple of nights to let him have the chance to look around.

    Off to see how much of a sweat the credit card breaks into when I suggest the possibility to it ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only just found your wonderful blog Mary. You're inspiring me... for one thing Genova does not look like the dive I had been told it was and secondly I live near Torino and yet I hardly ever go and wander about down there and 'discover' stuff! Reading all this is making me more optimistic about living in Italy and inspiring me to 'get out there'. Thank youxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed to say I've been remiss in responding to the kind people who have posted comments here. Unfortunately, I am easily distracted. But thank you all for taking the time to comment.

    Di, if you speak English as you're walking around and I pass you, my head will spin off. Until this month I haven't heard a word of English spoken on the streets;-)

    Sarah, Genova is a wonderful city. You'll all love the aquarium and the city itself is such a surprise. Unlike any other Italian city I've visited.

    And finally, Indiebird. I'm so glad you found me and that this blog has inspired you to get out and about. I know you haven't always been happy here, but when you start looking around and exploring, Torino can become your city as much as Genova has become mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) Then as I'm oftentimes speaking my terrible New Zealand English if wandering with someone your head may spin round on the street one day. Do say hi.

    My cousin is hoping to meet me there in August, I'm hoping to return in September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about the Google calendar, but iCal lets you change the preferences so your week can start on Sunday...that messed me up a few times too with paper Italian calendars, so I didn't even mess with it on the computer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, after too many missed appointments, I finally figured out how to change Google calendar. I also realize that I need to start a blog roll, since I regularly read and enjoy your blog and would like my readers to know about you.

    ReplyDelete