Friday, February 5, 2010

Spaghetti Western Night

I believe that one of the most important things an expat can do to help ease their way into a new life in a new country, is to establish new traditions.  Just like at home, having those special days or moments you can look forward to helps get you through the tough times.  Not that we had any traditions.  That is, unless you can consider work a tradition.  Our work, but my work in particular, caused us to work days, nights, and all around the clock.  So, when we finally got home, all we wanted to do was vegetate.  The idea of having dinner guests or a party was anathema.

Nevertheless, I believe in this concept so, last night I decided to act on it.  We have established the tradition of Spaghetti Western Night.  Last night in honor of Sergio Leone, we had our friends Carlo and Sue over for dinner and a movie.  But not just any dinner and a movie... spaghetti and a spaghetti western.

For those of you who have never been exposed to Spaghetti Westerns, a little background.  In the early 1960's, Italian directors began making low budget westerns.  They were typically filmed in Italian in locations in Spain, Sardegna or Abruzzo.  Most of the actors were Italian, although on occasion a washed up Hollywood type would show up on the screen.

The best of these films, were the films of Sergio Leone. Called the "Man with No Name" trilogy and starring that up and comer, the young and gorgeous Clint Eastwood, it was only appropriate that we begin our tradition with my favorite of Leone's films, Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo or "The Good, the Ugly and the Bad", or "The Good, the Bad and The Ugly"...va be' (Whatever!)

To further refine this tradition, it was important to chose the right spaghetti.  It must be a spaghetti that comes from the birthplace of the director.  In this case it must be from Rome, where Sergio Leone was born in 1929.  Thus, our choices are: all'Amatraciana; pancetta, tomatoes and onions, Gricia; pancetta and onions, no tomatoes, con Vongole; clams and garlic...yum, and Carbonara; pancetta, eggs and cheese.  None of these require much prep or complicated cooking, but timing is everything, particularly with the Carbonara, so of course, that's the one I chose. 

As a little aside, Carlo is Italian.  Not Italian like me, first generation Italo-Americana, but Italian Italian. That means that good food is critical to his state of mind.  So I'm a little nervous about cooking Italian food for him.  Especially since I had brooded over this issue, and made a commitment when we first moved here that I would never cook Italian food for Italians.  I just didn't think I could handle the critique.  Then it occurred to me that I don't know how to cook anything but Italian food.  I've been cooking Italian food since I learned how to cook from my Italian Italian father. But I'm already committed so here we go.

As I said, there's nothing difficult about making Carbonara.  Sauteed pancetta, parmigiana reggiana, pecorino, eggs and spaghetti all mixed together.  But that's the problem.  If the pasta is too hot when you mix in the eggs, you get scrambled eggs with your spaghetti.  If the pasta is too cold, you get raw eggs with your spaghetti.  Neither one appetizing, and neither one am I going to serve to Carlo...or anyone else.  So, to be on the safe side, in case I have to dump this mess, I also prepare a kilo of Toscanelli, wonderful little sausages I get from the Mercato Orientale and sauteed cavolo nero with garlic, chili pepper and pinenuts.  I think Sergio would have been happy with this menu.

At around 8:00 pm our guests arrive and an hour and a half later, we sit down to dinner.  I am not good at timing dinner, but at least it wasn't served at 10:30 as I have been know to do.  To my relief and amazement, the Carbonara is perfectly timed, the sausages and cavolo nero perfectly cooked, and everyone appeared to enjoy it, including Carlo.  A job well done, if I do say so myself, and I do.

Finally, I get to sit down and relax and watch a great movie with good friends.  The perfect beginning to a new tradition.  Next time, however, I need to have the Ennio Marricone music playing in the background.

5 comments:

  1. We had traditions! There was the tradition of me cleaning the house before guests came over for every holidays. And the tradition of you serving dinner about 5 hours after everyone thought it would be served. And the tradition of us kids stealing down to Nation's for hamburgers while we waited...aside from Nation's, maybe it is a good idea to start some new traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that's what children were for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow blogger and pensione.
    We too live (starting next week) between the mountains and the Sea. We also have an emotional connection to where you are living. Check out our blog and see why. Welcome to our community of Italian expat bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao Diana -

    I'm always happy to meet another expat and expat blogger at that. Hope you enjoy life in Italy as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete