Friday, January 22, 2010

Obsessions 2

In reflecting on yesterday's post, I have come to the conclusion, that while all of my obsessions are perfectly normal, Ollie's are just plain weird.  I'm not talking about his obsession with knives, movie trivia and CHiPs.  These are normal obsessions.  I'm talking about his obsession with panettone.  For those of you unfamiliar with panettone, it is an Italian sweet bread traditionally served during the Christmas season.  It is typically made with butter, flour, sugar, eggs and candied fruit.  Kind of like fruitcake, except not.  Now I like panettone as much as the next guy.  Around the middle of December, I buy a panettone, have a couple of slices, and then I'm good until next year.  But Ollie never does anything in a small way, and his obsession with panettone is no exception.






In theory, one should not even be able to buy panettone on January 22, but here is today's load.  That's right, 4 panettone.  Have you ever tried to ride a bus with 4 panettone?  It's not as if you can get a seat, or find a place to put your panettone.  No, you have to stand in the aisle, with 30 other people, hanging on for dear life as your crazed bus driver screeches around corners and through piazzas, all the while hanging on to the precious panettone.  By "precious" I mean the panettone that has been sitting on the shelves since Christmas...the stuff that has been discounted twice!!  You get my point.  This is stale panettone.  This for the guy who wouldn't even eat the stuff at Christmas last year!



We have reached such a sorry pass, that we are now required to go to the supermarket twice, once for panettone and once for regular food.  Meanwhile, he sits in his chair trying to figure out if there's a way he can get more panettone on the bus.


"I wonder if I took it out of the boxes, could I carry 6 panettone?"

12 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaaah I love panettone! When it goes a little stale (or anytime, really) just put it in the toaster and then spread some butter on it.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two need to get together! Whatever you do don't tell him you make it yourself or he'll be hounding me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to make him the Panettone version of french toast. I have this oversized Trader Joe's bag that would totally fit 6 Panettone. Do you want me to bring it or are you trying to stem the tide of Panettoneness?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even think about bringing that thing. And don't mention the "p" word either!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The panettone pile in my local Sidis is still mountainous. Clearly folks round here need someone like Ollie to clear the backlog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you don't live near here. He announced today that we need to start looking at other stores. I wonder if there's a panettone de-tox center nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ollie seems completely normal to me. He may find, as I have, that it is very caloric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But it's really cheap right now!! €1.40!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait until they start with the colomba for easter - panettone in a dove shape - i imagine you have a month before they show up in the stores - and after easter they are on sale

    ReplyDelete